Over the years, we’ve been known for translating Washington for Wall Street—and vice versa. And these days, we’re equipped to navigate complex challenges for nonprofits, startups, and investors, as well as domestic and international corporations across the economy. Our Mindset Weekly zeroes in on key insights and takeaways of note within the sectors we focus on each and every day.
January 30, 2023
The House and Senate are in session this week, with President Biden slated to meet with Speaker McCarthy (R-CA) this Wednesday (February 1) to discuss the debt limit ahead of next week’s State of the Union address (February 7). This week, the House will consider pandemic-related measures including the termination of the Covid-19 public health emergency, repealing the federal mandate on Covid vaccines for health care workers, and restricting federal employees ability to work remotely. The House will also vote on financial services-related bills under suspension of the rules, including legislation to protect seniors and those with disabilities from financial exploitation, requiring the SEC to report on barriers to rural small businesses access to capital, and revising the frequency of mandatory credit union board of directors meetings. The Senate, which has yet to pass an organizing resolution, will use the week to consider nominations. Several House and Senate committees hold their organizational meetings this week, allowing them to begin conducting hearings, issuing subpoenas, and marking up legislation. Federal Reserve Chair Powell holds a press conference Wednesday following a meeting of the FOMC (January 31-February 1) to consider additional rate increases, and the January jobs report comes out Friday morning (February 3).
The January 30 Mindset Weekly takes a deeper dive into the following topics:
- DEBT LIMIT Biden and McCarthy Meeting Wednesday Kicks Off Debt Limit Talks, Although No Breakthroughs Expected.
- COMMITTEE WORK Congressional Committees Continue Organizing This Week as House Hearings Begin in Earnest.
- CRYPTO Flurry of Crypto Activity from White House and Federal Reserve.
- CYBERSECURITY CISA Chief of Staff Shares Agency Plan to Establish Voluntary Cyber Regime.
- ANTITRUST Justice Department Files Second Antitrust Lawsuit Against Google.
- BROADBAND REPORT GAO Releases Report on Affordable Broadband Programs; Revelations and Recommendations Included on Rampant Cases of Fraud.
- ENERGY House and Senate Committees Focus on Energy Issues This Week.
- FARM BILL Senate Agriculture Committee Laying the Groundwork for the Farm Bill.
- OTHER HAPPENINGS The White House today informed Congress that it plans to end the COVID-19 public health emergency and national emergency declarations on May 11; Comment deadline Thursday on FHA’s draft Mortgagee Letter on appraisal Reconsideration of Value requests; Watching for announcement on FHA premiums.
- Mindset Weekly: January 23, 2023
- Mindset Weekly: January 17, 2023
- Mindset Weekly: January 9, 2023
- Mindset Weekly: January 3, 2023
- Mindset Weekly: December 5, 2022
- Mindset Weekly: November 28, 2022
- Mindset Weekly: November 21, 2022
- Mindset Weekly: November 14, 2022
- Mindset Weekly: November 7, 2022
- Mindset Weekly: October 31, 2022
- Mindset Weekly: October 24, 2022
- Mindset Weekly: October 17, 2022