The Director will play an integral role leading insurance research and advocacy work, working directly for and with senior Mindset team members and clients. The role requires analytical skills, including the ability to compose concise and cogent written materials. The Director should possess subject-matter expertise in insurance policy, and be able to effectively communicate relevant policy developments through an analytical lens connected to the client’s business interests.
The Director will also lead research projects supporting clients on specific policy issues in the described area. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is passionate about public policy and is ready to support a well-established insurance practice across diverse and complex issues. The position is located in the DC area.
The individual will work closely with and under the supervision of the firm’s Principals and Partners to perform a wide range of activities, including but not limited to:
- In partnership with client managers, leading insurance client workflow on insurance policy, including leading policy research in insurance and interacting directly with clients on a regular basis;
- In collaboration with client managers and other team members, monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on insurance policy activity in Congress, regulatory agencies, and international regulatory organizations;
- Leading research projects on key client policy priorities in assigned areas and translating that research into client-ready deliverables;
- Drafting written products such as policy backgrounders, legislative side-by-side comparisons, and policy outlook analyses;
- Identifying issues and information relevant to client interests in assigned areas and disseminating in a timely and professional way; and
- Participating in regular client calls/ meetings and responding to direct client requests;
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills, including the ability to develop strategic plans and present them in a persuasive and visually appealing manner;
- Strong project management skills: highly organized and able to manage multiple incoming project requests with varying deadlines; able to adapt to changing priorities; able to thrive in a small team environment while also being comfortable working independently;
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to mentor other employees; team player with social awareness, high degree of emotional maturity, self-awareness, and sound judgment; personal growth mindset and positive, supportive attitude;
- Quick study: ability to develop expertise in complicated policy issue areas;
- Very strong writing, editing, and research skills.
- Demonstrated support for issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including allyship and challenging bias; ability to effectively work with and support colleagues from a variety of social identities, including (but not limited to) race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, age, class, religion, and nationality.
An undergraduate degree is required; an advanced degree, such as a J.D. or M.B.A. is desirable. Strong preference for specific insurance policy and/or business experience.
Mindset is a bipartisan public policy firm based that applies thoughtful research, strategic advisory and effective advocacy to help our clients address the challenges and opportunities they face to today’s dynamic public policy environment. Based in Washington DC, Mindset’s expertise includes financial services and housing; tax, trade and international affairs; energy, environment, and infrastructure; technology, media, and telecommunications; healthcare; and more.
Mindset values substantive policy depth and takes an analytical and immersive approach to support our client’s business goals. We have a strong, dedicated research team who understand the policy, political, and stakeholder developments that shape the environment in which our clients operate. We combine this breadth and depth of understanding with the intangible experience that comes from having been in the room during times of high-stakes policymaking to predict and influence outcomes on behalf of our clients.
Mindset is squarely focused on maintaining best-in-class service and impact for our clients. At the core of our success is our belief in hustle and humility. We work hard to get the job done, and we never lose focus on our clients.
Mindset is deeply committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and bias-free work environment. We are perpetually focused on building high-functioning teams with a breadth of experiences and perspectives to meet the complex needs of our clients. We seek the right individuals to help us continue building an exceptional, diverse, inclusive, and cohesive culture with a true sense of personal and professional integrity. At Mindset, our team members bring all of who they are to the table, and our work and our clients are better for it.